5 oz hard cups with shot glasses added for Valentine’s Day
Hard cup sparkleballs require a bit more effort. They take 3 days to make, so glue can set. The cups crack easily, and if you drop a hard cup sparkleball, it’s a disaster. But hard cups are sparklier and come in fun colors. These instructions will work for 5 oz cups and Party Essentials 9 oz. For 9 oz Chinet brand cups the formula is slightly different. (see below)
UPDATE: You can also build a Hard Cup Sparkleball with GripperClips or bobby pins.
64 hard solo-style cups
large paper clips
gluegun & soldering iron
5oz 14-11-6-1 / 9oz 64
Party Essentials 14-11-6-1 / 9oz 64
Chinet 14-11-6-1 + middle row of 14 / 78
Click on photos for more information.
1. Clip 14 cups in a ring.
2. Clip 11 cups in a ring.
3. Clip 11-Ring on top of 14-Ring.
4. Clip 6 cups in a ring. Add 1 in the center.
5. Clip 6-Ring on 11-Ring to finish Side 1. Set aside. Build Side 2 the same way.
6. Where cups touch, remove clip. Add dab of hot glue. Reclip.
7. Let glue set overnight for tight bond.
8. DAY 2. Melt 1/2″ hole in each cup with soldering iron.
9. Start lights at plug end. Put 2 in cup on outside edge. Finish on cup next to first cup.
10.On Side2, start lights at opposite end of cord and insert the same way.
11. Clip 2 sides together.
Glue where cups touch. Reclip.Let set overnight.
12. Melt hole between 2 cups and make a hanger.
13. Plug in and enjoy !
Hard cup sparkleballs by Carl Boro, who taught me his technique. Carl prefers clear silicon caulk instead of hot glue. The caulk takes several days to set. He also uses a |14-11-6-1 + 14 in the middle| formula with Chinet cups.