Shot glasses and paper clips make one sturdy little sparkleball. Don’t like the clips? Hot-glue it! This one also looks great with the lights simply stuffed in the middle, so it’s perfect for a kid’s project. (Blog post on soft cup Mini here and more mini ideas at bottom of page.)
1. Clip 18 cups in a ring. If 18 doesn’t make a nice tidy circle your cups aren’t the right size. Switch to Any Size Cup instructions.
2. Clip 16 cups on top of the 18-ring.
3. Clip 12 cups on top of the 16-ring.
4. Clip 7 cups on top of 12-ring.
5. Add last cup to the top, clipping to 3 different cups. There will be a gap.
6. Stuff lights in center. Run plug out through gap at top or at edge between halves.
— OR —
a. With hot soldering iron melt 1/2″ holes in 25 cups, randomly spaced.
b. Insert 1 light per hole; 25 per side. Start from center with plug hanging out of gap. End in cup on outside edge.
7. Make 2nd side. If inserting lights, start at opposite end of cord so lights meet in the middle.
8. Clip sides together. Add more clips wherever cups touch.
9. Make hanger out of paper clips. OR solder hole between cups and use a zip-tie, ring, or hook.
To hot-glue:make the two sides with paper clips. Where cups touch, squeeze hot glue between them. Reclip. Pressure from the clip makes bond strong.
Let set overnight before removing paper clips.
Add lights. Repeat clip/glue process to join sides.