Erika shared her holepunch technique with us back in 2008 and introduced a whole new world of possibilities. Put 4 holes in each cup, then use what you want to join them. Twist ties, zip-ties, ribbon, yarn, glitter sticks. Above, I used coated electrical wire. At left, Erika adds beads to her wire.
This is an updated version of our Instructable for No-Melt Sparkleball.
click photo for details
Make a ring of 12 cups.
If it isn’t nice and round, then your
cups aren’t the right size.
Switch to Any Size Cup instructions.
- 9 oz cups I know work: Solo, Dart, Safeway Home, Fabrical, Choice.
- step drill bit (about $14) makes drilling plastic easy.
- don’t tighten connectors too tight at first. Keep ball flexible then tighten up at the end.
- for dancing sparkleball use chasing lights with function control.
- I like Carl’s trick for keeping lights from slipping out of cups.
- there’s no one exact way to make a sparkleball, so innovate!
helpful DIY how-to posts:
– find the right cups
– tips for inserting lights
– the best stapler
– how to hang it – 1
– how to hang it – 2
– how to hang it – 3
– using different lights – 1
– using different lights – 2
– drilling a perfect hole
– how to get it really round
– painting the cups
– make The Original Sparkleball
– make AnyCup Sparkleball
– making Mini Sparkleballs
More Sparkleballs to Make