Any cup can make a sparkleball with time and patience. Oh, and, buy lots of cups. You’ll need at least a hundred, even with small cups.
formula is different for every cup shape and size
best to clip entire ball before you take it apart and rebuild it, stapling.
click photos for details.
drill holes in 50 cups to get started.
drill more as you go along.
experiment with one side
- add cups to a ring until it makes a perfect circle. clip cups together (don’t staple yet.)
- don’t count my cups. yours may be different.
- make second ring, with 1 or 2 fewer cups. clip.
- make third and so forth until you have half a ball. each ring will be smaller and smaller.
- keep notes of the number of cups you use in each ring.
- set aside Side One. (Don’t staple yet.)
mock-up of the entire ball
- build Side Two like Side One
- when you have the two sides, clip them together to make sure you like the shape.
- you may need to adjust by adding or subtracting a cup here or there or losing/adding a ring.
stapling and lights
- finally, staple each side.
- add lights before you assemble the final ball.
- use as many lights as you want, but remember they add a lot of weight.
- on one side create a hanger than will support the weight of the ball.
- I used two chopsticks here. More ideas on Pinterest.
- join sides with clips, then staple. best to staple at compass points first, then fill in.
- test hanger to make sure it can hold weight.
- whew! you’re done! plug in and enjoy!